Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Recap of my Solo Journey to K.L, David Archuleta spaz, and My List of Thanks.

I decided to write a recap on the most special week I've experienced. The week I flew solo to Kuala Lumpur to listen and meet David Archuleta and my family in Archuleta Avenue Malaysia. It's a ridiculously long post, so yeah, thou hath been warned. :)

Three years ago, I was pretty much opposite of who I am now. Insensitive, uncaring, mean, and always swearing. Sometimes I thought of the worst things I could do to release myself from the pain and stress I was experiencing only to make it feel worse. In short, I was lost and clueless and was basically going down the wrong path. Though I gradually got better over the years, I still swore and thought negatively...until I met, read and listened to David Archuleta; whose squeaky clean personality and backround stumped me and influenced me to do the same. :) I even go to church more often now! Yaay!

I know it might be a little hard for other people to understand, because there are parts of my life not many people knows or that I don't reveal to people willy-nilly. So yeah! :D


Summer, 2008.

Second from the bottom on the right side. Credits to my lovely friend Tina!

...who suprised me with this precious little gem. Since she was going to the American Idol Summer tour that year, I asked her if she could, y'know, get something for me there. Haha. So, she had David hold up a sign she made for the fansite I was part of at the time. Gave me a boost in my studies, really. It was the closest thing to David I had at the moment, so I really was thankful for just this picture.

Poor dude looks tired.


8th April 2009: David-Day! Kuala Lumpur International Airport.

I left for the airport in the morning. It was D-Day for us fans in Archuleta Avenue Malaysia (AAM) because David Archuleta was finally coming to Kuala Lumpur! Almost crashed into a tree when I heard of it. Haha. Thank God, that my dad let me go for the showcase since I've won the tickets already. Oh, and I met Serene at the airport too! We were on the same flight. Awesome! On my way to KL on the plane, I wrote David a letter and put it together with some postcards and a gift for him and his family. After touching down in LCCT, I went to KLIA straight away. Spent a couple of hours until the rest arrived. I met the authors and my online friends at the airport. They were SO friendly. I got the T-shirt and helped with the signs and socialized. Honestly, meeting them was like meeting my family. They were nice, caring and loving. They were definately ArchAngels for a reason.

The airport gang! (minus a few people though) LoL. Credits to (uncle) John for taking the pic.

We waited anxiously and David finally arrived. He almost made his way to AAM's section...but unfortunately was pushed back by the mob of people. Thanks to the authors and auntie Shu Yee, and to everyone in AAM, we stood our ground and didn't rush for him. We just serenaded him with Touch my Hands and A Little Too Not Over You. And he noticed. Which was good. Haha. It was sad..he had to be taken away another way and we eventually couldn't give him a warm welcome like we planned. But on the other hand, there was always the showcase!

11th April 2009: Showcase Day! Sunway Lagoon Amphitheatre.

After days of anxious waiting, and swallowing the temptation to stalk him, the day finally arrived. After all the exitement, I didn't think I'd get to meet David...I just figured I came here for what I everybody else came for: to hear him sing. I went for the pre-showcase extra early too (I woke up at 6 am) and helped out with the food and stuff. When everyone arrived, I made new friends. They were again, super nice. I got one of aunty Elicia's cupcakes which were too delicious to eat... but I ate it anyway, the chibi-David tasted tummy and chocolatey.

My buddy Debb and me, Deb. Haha. Photo credit to Alex and Kitty.

Haha. Aww. So, we got together and prepared a little snippet of "Zero Gravity", a song that David co-wrote and sang in his concerts in the U.S, but was never reliased as a single or in his album. The AAM authors also gave us a little piece of white paper to guard with our lives. It was a suprise. ;)

At noon, we headed to the amphitheatre and OMGosh there was a LOOOONG line! However, we waited patiently in the sun with our black shirts on. All for David, TOGETHER. We got into the amphitheatre and were seperated. Because some of us had VIP passes and some had just normal passes. So, I got the normaly passes and just sat with my friends, Barbara, Amelia, aunty Tracy and her son, and some other fans I'm not so fimiliar with. I passed my camera to my friend Alex, since I didn't know whether cameras were allowed to be brought in or not. (Eventually yes, they were allowed)

Then, Kylie and Anne came walking around and noticed our shirts. She called us over and gave us V.I.P passes. I was shocked and exited. The 2nd row up front! In front of the stage! What more can I ask for? I later ound out that Alex accedentally left my camera cover in his gift bag, so, yeah, my camera cover is with David now! Haha! It's pretty exiting in a wierd way though. Enjoy your time in Utah, camera cover! Anyway, we got to enjoy it up front, and we were esctatic. Soon, more AAM members were together up front with the banner. I was happy. This was what I prayed for in church before I won the showcase passes the day after. I prayed that if I couldn't go, I hoped that the AAM members who could go would get to be TOGETHER. He sang 6 songs! For 1/2 and hour. But it was the BEST 1/2 and hour of my life. Haha!


David sang A Little To Not Over You, Touch My Hands, Crush, Don't Let Go, A Thousand Miles, and Angels. He is just amazing on stage. Photos by yours truly.

After the showcase, we AAM-ers gathered at the VIP seats. Kylie, our mamacub, announced what the tiny piece of paper was for. Each of us will get a chance to meet David in PERSON and then, take a group photo with him because we didn't at the airport. Ray, David's tour manager apparently realized that we weren't part of the mob that day, so he arranged this just for us. Thank you Ray! You're the best tour manager in the world! Guess that's what you get for not giving into temptation. Haha. Hope he liked my impromptu gift! Lol my bracelet. :P I also asked if he would be interested to come down to Sarawak. He said he'd love to... if he had the time! LoL!

So, I was the first of the AAM group to go in after the autogrpah sect. I met him... it was awkward.

This is my first portrait of a person. I've never gone for complete and proper art lesson on portraits before, so yeah, this means a lot to me.

Me
: Hi!
David: Hi!
Me: I got this for you from my hometown in East Malaysia.
David: Aww thanks.
Me: Could you sign this for me? (hands him my sketchbook)
David: Oh, how cool! *signs*
Me: Oh, could you draw something?
David: Draw something?
*awkward silence...as he stared at me thinking*--he has nice clear eyes. LOL
David: *drew peace sign* Like this? :D
Me: Aww thank you. Oh, btw my friend told you about me earlier right? Thank you for changing my life.
David: Aww, yeah, she did. Thank you.

Gee, how do I describe him. He's short; but taller than me and taller than what I see on TV. He has nice, piercing hazel eyes, and his voice is loud. Haha. Idk if it's the echo, but it's loud. And most importantly he GLOWS. The mark of a person who is clean inside and out. David, are you real?

Then I got pulled out by the security... so I wasn't lucky enough to get a picture with him. Haha. But I was SO thankful already. I've gotten more than I wanted. Thanks, Sheba, for telling him my story! You're the best!! And thanks for finding out that David KNOWS where Sarawak is situated and that he knows that there are two parts of Malaysia! Haha.



Then, we got a group photo with him and Ray. I got the best two seconds in my life when he accedentally sat next to me up front...(before he moved up to the middle) Haha. Again, more than what I asked for. So, we parted, gave and recieved hugs. Tears of joy, sadness, and gushes of thank yous were everywhere. We were so sad, yet so happy. Ah~ the paradox if things. I took a ride to Sunway Pyramid with Sheba and Yoashio. We were mobbed-ish by fans too. Haha. Guess now I know how David feels like. Next morning, David and Ray went back to Utah. 'couldn't see them off 'cause I didn't think there was a bus that could take me to the airport as early as 5am. I went in the evening. Leaving K.L was bitter-sweet. But I was happy to be back home.

My many thanks to many special people.

Thank you authors Anne, Kylie, John, Justine, and Lily, for the opportunity, thank you Sony BMG for brining David over, thank you Hitz for the tickets, thank you Alex for being with me to get the tickets and being so nice to offer your tickets and M&G pass if you've won it, thank you aunty Shu Yee because of believing that I could give my gift to David, thank you Elicia for the cupcakes, thank you Barb and Debb (and Alci lol) for helping me with David's gift, thank you Sheba for telling David my story and giving his hug to me, thank you Kitty for your kind words, thank you Tracy for the postcard, and being with us in the hot sun in the line, thanks to ALL the AAM-ers who made everything so cheerful and friendly, thank you aunty Jassy and Zymz for letting me stay at your place, thank you Ray for arranging our private time with David, and thank you David Archuleta, for making influencing me to be a better person as well as bringing us members closer together as one big caring and loving family. Most of all, thank you God for awarding me with more than what I prayed for.

So, till the next time David comes, I shall be willing to fly down once again!

3 comments:

  1. It's really good to see how David has affected many people :) My life may not have changed that much. I've always been kinda of a happy-go-lucky geek ;p But I do admire David. I've never had an idol before. True, I look up to my parents and all that. But to have someone that actually inspire you is different. Well now, I'm proud to say that David is my idol for being the very person that he is :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OoooOooooO.... I love your sketch of David Archuleta! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww debz! its so heartwarming to read of how David has changed your life. and im glad to have gotten to know you (: 11th april will be a day we will never forget indeed. love your blog (:

    Anne

    ReplyDelete